We are all aware of our ever increasing need to ensure that everything we do is sustainable and kind to the environment. The hospitality/leisure sector is no exception to this rule and “green or sustainable tourism” now plays an important role in our industry. Customers may even sometimes make a decision solely based upon the eco credentials of where they want to stay. TripAdvisor, for example, launched its GreenLeaders program in early 2013 to monitor the ‘green’ practices of hotels in the United States. As a business therefore, you could gain some marketing advantage. So below are our “eco creds”:
- Our products are very much designed with the emphasis on teaching guests about the environment and feature extensively eco features such as sedum roofs, wind turbines, solar panels, water butts and planters
- The timber we use is FSC accredited which ensures that it is harvested only from sustainable sources
- Timber is the most sustainable building material available, benefiting from low embedded energy. This means using materials that are closest to their natural state. Timber can also be re-used or reduced to wood chip for other building products
- Our HDPE panels are fully recyclable
- Our buildings are fully insulated throughout thereby enhancing thermal efficiencies and reducing energy waste
- Clean energy created by air and ground source heat pumps
- Our playground equipment is made from 100% recyclable plastic
- All timber off cuts and production waste is recycled
- Where applicable we use low energy lighting and ozone friendly materials
Did you know?
Within the next couple of years, sustainable tourism could grow to 25% of the world’s travel market.
Organisations and Agencies
There are some excellent organisations in the UK who work to promote environmental tourism and to further its causes. Some of these can be found below with their website links:
Green Tourism – www.green-tourism.com
Sustainable Tourism – www.sustainabletourism.net